The Art of Dean and Linda Moran
Publications •Galleries • Purchasing • Testimonials • Classes and Workshops • The Marbling Process
Dean and Linda Moran took an interest in a new hobby and turned it into a new passion. Linda wanted to marble fabric for quilts. After doing research, Dean created the tools they needed. With their first piece, they knew they had a vision for a new art form using traditional marbling designs. Over time and many hours of practice, they created a personal art form using traditional marbling designs, as well as contemporary variations to enhance their creative spirits.
Fascinated by the whims and mysteries of nature, their art incorporates dimensional form as they continue to explore the marriage of marbling and fabric. All of their commissioned pieces have celebrated the magic of the Earth. One unique piece represents a wave cresting the shore, drawing the viewer into a vortex of energy.
Starting with basic white cotton, Dean and Linda soon developed a "no fabric is safe from marbling" attitude. Using silk, satin, corduroy, denim, velveteen and whatever else may cross their paths, they have broadened their artistic horizons. The fabric may dictate a theme; other times the magic of the marbling will dictate the focus of the finished piece.
Dean and Linda have expanded their work into a number of series. “Gaia” celebrates the abstract of Earth, using a weaving design. “Nature” takes a specific look at the little wonders around us, like a quiet pond or an unexpected rock garden. “Mandalas” pay tribute to the dynamic energy of the universe. "Small Wonders" look at smaller size statements of the world around us. And then...."Creative Expressions" - whatever happens to speak to us.
Each marbling session is a new experience, exploring the infinite designs and colors possible, both in the art form and in our world. Current work involves embellishment and thread painting/quilting. The work evolves with our experience and excitement.
Visit some other work by Linda Moran.
- Create-a-Quilt by Dr. Joyce Mori, 1999
- Pricing Guidelines for Arts and Crafts, Sylvia Landman, 2000
- "Making Connections" in Sew News, September 2001
- The Quilting Quarterly, "The Art of Marbling," National Quilting Association, summer 2002
- Quilting Through the Seasons: Spring. Lois Fletcher, author, Spring 2005
- Quilting Arts, Spring 2004 - closeup of the blue silk used by Larkin Van Horn in her Bernina garment.
- "If You Bring It, They Will Sign," Quilter's Newsletter Magazine, Winter 2004, about Linda's wedding quilt for her neice.
- Bernina fashion Show Catalogs, 2002, 2003; Larkin Van Horn and Nancy Schlegel, designers.
- Martha Stewart Weddings, March 2013, "Having a Marbled Wedding"
- 2 quilts in Linda Seward's book The Ultimate Guide to Art Quilt Techniques.
- Artful Alchemy: The Art of Disabled Artists, ed. Anne Copeland, 2016
- Textures Gallery and Studio, Scottsdale, AZ, Fall, 2003
- “My World in Black and White,” online exhibition, 2003-2004
- “My World in Black and White,” Ontario Museum of Art and History, CA, 2003 - 2004
- Schullenberger Gallery, Jericho, VT. Artists’ Showcase, December 2003
- Leandro Fabrics and Gallery, Tucson, AZ, May 2004, September 2004
- "Expressions in Textiles," juried show, New Haven, CT, August 2004
- "Fabric of Legacies," juried show, "Mandala 1: Core" Fort Collins, CO, July 2004
- "Fish Follies," juried show, "Alaskan Waters" Cordova, AK, August-November 2004
- "Art of the Sixth Extinction," WomenKraft Gallery, Tucson, AZ. Winter 2005
- "Fish Follies," juried show, Alaskan Whales" Cordova, AK, July-November 2007, with Suzan Drury
- "Fish Follies," juried show, "Swimming Upstream" Cordova, AK, July-November 2007, with Suzan Drury
- "Fish Follies," juried show, "Raven" Cordova, Alaska, July - November 2008, with Suzan Drury
- "Fabric of Legacies," juried show, "Low Tide" Ft. Collins, CO, 2009
- "Fish Follies," juried show, "Ocean's Bounty," Cordova, AK, July - November 2009
- "Fish Follies," juried show, "Salmon Run," Cordova, AK, July-November 2010
- "Tikkun Olam: A Restoration Project," Tucson, Arizona. "Insidious Oil." September 2011.
- Online gallery "Art from the Heart," to create artwork representing the shooting victims in Tucson, AZ February 2011
- StashFest, La Connor Textile Museum, La Conner, WA 2012, 2013.
- SAQA Membership Auction, 2012
- Juried Faculty Art Show, The Art Institute of Tucson, May 2013
- Galleriba, Online gallery, 2012-2013
- The Art of Marbled Fabric, Unsworth Law Offices, Essex Junction, Vermont, 2016
- "On the Wall," Phoenix Books. Essex, Vermont. Ongoing with the Essex Art League
- "Double Exposure: Visual Art and the Written Word," Jericho Town Hall, Jericho, Vermont, 2016
- "Misfiring Synapses," at 4th Annual Abstraction show, BluSeed Studios, Saranac Lake, NY, 2016
. Honorable Mention.
- Vermont Open Studios, May 2016
- Solo Show, Brownell Library, August 2016, Essex Junction, VT;
- Marbling workshop October 2016, BluSeed Studios, Saranac Lake, VT.
- Wood Gallery,Montpelier, VT 2017 with the Essex Art League;
More information on purchasing ...